Gucci, Pucci, Paige

Apple & Pear Chairs by Paige
Gucci Home Decor












Detail on Background done with
Prismacolor Pencils
EmilioPucci Upholstered, Louis XVI


Recently, I have been reading a lot on blogs and in magazine articles about Gucci’s new Home Décor line that’s launching this Fall.  The images they are teasing the public with are vibrant, quirky, takes on traditional forms.  This discovery has prompted me to search for other design twists on traditional furniture.  From my interest in the Gucci, gloss red, Chiavari chair with a bright pink, needlepoint seat, to the Pucci upholstered, Louis XVI sofa I discovered on MYDOMAINE.com, I have been influenced by design of all types, and have had a passion for chairs for many years.  This is evidenced by the large inventory of unique chairs I own.  I will share some of these chairs with you over the next few months starting with the pair pictured here.

I painted the “Apple” and “Pear” chairs several years ago.  They are reinvented, second hand chairs.  I wish that I had photographed them in their before state.  Nobody would ever have believed the complete transformation they took on.  They came from Portofino, a restaurant in Caesars Palace.  I bought them from a hotel liquidator (a great source for robust, well-made furniture) and they were drab, worn, and in much need of a little TLC.

The Process:

I’ve stripped paint from furniture in the past and it is not easy.  The finish coatings applied in production are made to last, so it is much easier to paint over it, than it is to remove it.  It is usually necessary to sand first, to smooth out any nicks that will show up under a new coating of paint, and to give the original surface some tooth to accept the new paint.  I then washed the chairs with TSP (Tri-sodium Phosphate) to remove any furniture oils, grime and sawdust left from sanding.  I set them out in the sunshine to dry, but it’s always wise if you aren’t working in an arid environment to let the furniture completely dry overnight before starting the renewal process.

The next step, painting, was the easy and fun part.  I used Kilz primer as an undercoat on the frames of these chairs, and black gesso on the fabric.  In the manufacturer’s words, “Kilz is a superior sealer and stainblocker that provides excellent adhesion.”  I couldn’t agree more.   I used acrylic artist colors and Prismacolor pencils for the details, and I protected it all, before using them, with a final coat of Krylon, matte, spray varnish. 

My family has not treated these chairs with kid gloves and they have held up beautifully.  I apply an additional coat of Krylon, matte, spray varnish to the fabric every two or three years, and occasionally I need to touch up the background with black gesso, but overall they continue to look great, even with heavy use.

If you like the look, but aren’t up for the challenge of a DIY, or are just looking for inspiration, check out JimmieMartin.com or Gucci’s new Home Décor line that will be available Fall 2017. 

Comments

Popular Posts