Hanky Heart Necklace







I inherited hundreds of vintage hankies from both my grandmothers and a great aunt.  Since acquiring this treasure trove, I am constantly thinking of ways to give them a new life.  Many of them are so pretty, it seems a sin to cut them apart, but these hankies were worn and faded.  They were obviously favorites at some point which had been used daily and laundered often.  I simply cut a heart shape out of the best parts of them.  I then used my sewing machine to stitch the hearts together, stuffed them with Fiberfill, hand stitched them closed and embellished them with ribbon and embroidery.  I beaded and braided ribbons and decorative threads to hang the hearts on, attached them with jump rings and sent them off to people I love.  They were a nice way to say "I love you" and a touching memory for the people who knew my grandmothers and aunt.

















Comments

Popular Posts