Bungled Bungalow


















This bungled bungalow has become quite a beauty over the past few years and I am planning to share the transformation of it with you step by step. 

When I saw it for the first time, overgrown trees, enormous, woody shrubs, trellises, and a deep layer of January snow surrounded it.  It was several degrees below zero outside and there was no heat on the inside.  I toured the inside very quickly.  It was dimly light and dirty, but its century old woodwork and layers and layers of paint and wallpaper made me nostalgic.   With nostalgia in my heart and a momentary lapse of judgment, I agreed to buy it. 

It took the owners the next six months to clear the title to let us close the sale.  I didn’t see the house again until July. 

It was a very wet and very hot July.  The yard looked like an overgrown meadow, with a healthy crop of poison oak growing in it.  As the weeds came out and the over grown trees came down from around it, the reality of the house’s deplorable condition set in.  The interior was an even bigger shock.  Moisture from the wet basement had penetrated every crack, crevice and corner of the house.  Wallpaper everywhere was moldy and falling off the walls, and the plaster under it was crumbling.  The original “Rouge and Lipstick” renovation I had planned was out of the question.  We started a massive renovation the next day.


I hope you will tune in to enjoy my future posts.













SaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

Comments

Popular Posts