Tray Chic

Make a Junk Store Picture Frame into a Serving Tray for Your Next Outdoor BBQ

With Labor Day just around the corner, many of us are planning the last few outdoor parties of Summer.  Are you looking for inspiration?  I looked no further than my local junk store.  This picture frame had an ugly painting from the 1970's in it, but the frame was so wonderfully worn and interesting I knew I could turn it into something beautiful in just a few hours.  

I reused the masonite that came in the frame.  I slathered it with gesso, a coat of leftover, flat house paint, and drew the seashells on it with charcoal pencils.  To highlight the shells I painted with watered down gesso.  When the paint was dry, I painted three coats of polyurethane on it to protect the surface.  I attached basic drawer pulls on either side, reinforced the bottom with base molding, and added felt rounds to guard against the tray scratching our tables.  

Dinner is served!  






Comments

Popular Posts